Springtime and Allergies. 5 Tips to Help You
Spring weather is always welcome, but the massive quantity of pollen in the air can trigger a severe reaction in people who suffer from asthma and allergies. Fortunately, there are many sensible measures you can take to reduce your exposure. Here are five tips to help you manage springtime allergies.
Consult a Heating and Cooling Professional
Spring pollen is abundant, and contaminants often become trapped indoors, especially in tight homes. An HVAC professional can design a system that eliminates airborne pollen by implementing a comprehensive IAQ strategy.
- Air Purifiers: Advanced filters and air purifiers trap pollen and other particulate matter as the air passes through your HVAC system. Most contractors recommend installing filters with a minimum MERV 7 rating.
- Mechanical Ventilation: Mechanical ventilators create a slight positive pressure in your home so pollen can’t enter the living area through gaps in the perimeter envelope.
Reduce Your Exposure to Allergens
To help reduce the effects of pollen, it’s important to minimize your exposure to the most common triggers.
- Avoid gardening and mowing the lawn
- Remain indoors on windy days
- Always remove clothes and shoes worn outdoors
- Shower in the evening to wash away pollen
Find Effective Medication
There are several over-the-counter allergy products that have proven to be very effective when used regularly.
- Nasal sprays
Use a Sinus Rinse
Pollen builds up in your sinus passages, and using a rinse from a neti pot or squeeze bottle will flush out contaminated mucous.
Keep Your House Buttoned Up
Opening doors and windows in the spring allows pollen-saturated air to enter the indoor environment. Try to avoid airing out your home until the pollen count drops to normal levels.
Call the Indoor Air Quality Specialists
If someone in your family suffers from respiratory ailments, you may have an indoor air quality problem. Call one of Assurance’s courteous representatives at 84-388-0316 to learn more about our complete IAQ solutions.
You May Also Like
One of the top benefits of upgrading to a new furnace in Buffalo Grove, IL is saving energy. A modulating gas furnace… Continue Reading Investing in a Modulating Gas Furnace Saves Energy…
Timely heating repairs do more than keep your home from feeling like an icebox on a cold winter’s day. When you have… Continue Reading Addressing Heating Repairs ASAP Saves Time and Money…
Is your commercial heating system working properly? Malfunctioning heating equipment is the last thing you want when the snow begins to fall… Continue Reading Symptoms of Malfunctioning Commercial Heating Equipment…