Improve Your Energy Efficiency and Save Money
Originally published in December 2016
Having an energy-efficient house in Wheeling, IL pays off in several ways: you save money, you’re more comfortable, and you reduce the impact on the environment. The good news is that there are easy changes you can make to help your Buffalo Grove home use less energy. Here are a few ways to improve your energy efficiency and save money this heating season.
Work Smarter, Not Harder
Using energy-efficient appliances and electronics is an effortless way to conserve energy. Other simple measures also help you save money and energy:
- Programmable thermostats automatically turn down the temperature when you’re asleep or away from home. Your savings: up to $180 a year.
- Ceiling fans push hot air that rises to the ceiling back down into the room.
- A humidifier adds moist air to your home; moist air feels warmer and retains heat better than cold air.
Seal Your Home
By sealing air leaks, you can save up to $166 a year; plus, you won’t have to dodge air drafts, and your >indoor air quality will improve. Here are a few weatherization tips you can do on your own to improve energy efficiency and cut down energy costs:
- Weatherstrip around doors and windows. Your savings: up to 12 percent in energy loss.
- Install a door sweep on the bottom of doors.
- Insulate attics, crawlspaces and electrical outlets on exterior walls.
- Caulk around exterior spigots, mail slots, plumbing vent pipes and foundation joists.
- Plug and seal air leaks in the attic.
Love Your Furnace
Dirt and neglect rank as the top reasons for an inefficient furnace. For Illinois residents, 51 percent of energy bills goes toward heating, so it’s critical that you maintain your furnace to ensure efficient operation when temperatures hit the teens in Buffalo Grove.
Following these tips means you can practice energy efficiency and stay warm without hibernating under layers of blankets. Read more about our complete line of heating services or give us a call.
You May Also Like
Your furnace blower motor delivers warm air to every part of your home in Morton Grove, IL. Knowing these three warning signs… Continue Reading Symptoms of a Malfunctioning Furnace Blower Motor…
If your Skokie, IL home’s HVAC system can’t properly distribute conditioned air, both your comfort and your wallet are bound to suffer.… Continue Reading Common Causes of Weak or Uneven HVAC Airflow…
Here in Buffalo Grove, IL, it’s never too early to think about preparing for the harsh Chicagoland winter. In fact, getting an… Continue Reading Schedule Furnace Maintenance Now to Beat the Crowds…