Check Out This Fall HVAC System Maintenance List
Keeping an HVAC system running efficiently is a matter of maintaining it throughout the year. Seasonal maintenance is an ideal way to ensure that the system is ready to heat or cool as the weather changes.
The Importance of Seasonal HVAC Maintenance
Homeowners may wonder why their HVAC system needs to be maintained as the weather changes. The reasons listed below help homeowners understand why it can be disasterous to ignore the need for seasonal maintenance.
- A heating system or air conditioner may not be ready to get up and running without maintenance. Leaving maintenance to the last minute means that the system may not be able to properly heat or cool a home for the comfort and safety of a family. Seasonal maintenance helps to avoid any issues by getting the system ready before it is absolutely needed.
- Keeping a system maintained reduces the possibility of needing costly repairs or a replacement.
- A maintained system runs more efficiently to lower heating and cooling costs.
A Fall HVAC System Maintenance To-Do List
Cooler weather means that a heating system will need to be turned on for the first time in months. This to-do list outlines the most important heating and cooling maintenance tasks to be done as fall arrives. These are tasks that homeowners are able to do without the assistance of an HVAC technician, but there are additional tasks that must be completed by someone who has experience with heating system maintenance.
- Inspect air filters to determine whether they will need to be cleaned or replaced. A dirty air filter will make it difficult for conditioned air to reach rooms. The efficiency of a system that is running with a dirty filter can be significantly reduced, so changing the filter promptly is important. Filters are inexpensive and can be purchased in packages to reduce costs while ensuring that clean filters are at hand when needed.
- Any cracks or holes around the outside perimeter of a home should be sealed with caulk. Keeping cold air out allows the heating system to run more efficiently.
- Air leaks that are commonly found around doors and windows should be sealed to prevent cold air from coming inside.
- Homeowners can improve the efficiency of their heating system and keep their home more evenly heated by reversing the direction of their ceiling fans in cool weather. While fans do not actually change the temperature in a room, ceiling fans that are spinning clockwise circulate warm air throughout a room.
Professional Maintenance Plans
While there are many heating and cooling maintenance tasks that homeowners can handle on their own, some tasks are best left to a professional. Technicians are able to complete tasks like lubricating moving parts in a heating system or calibrating a thermostat. Assurance Heating & Air Conditioning offers maintenance package plans that are designed to improve the efficiency of a heating and cooling system. Contact Assurance today for more information.
You May Also Like
If your Skokie, IL home’s HVAC system can’t properly distribute conditioned air, both your comfort and your wallet are bound to suffer.… Continue Reading Common Causes of Weak or Uneven HVAC Airflow…
Here in Buffalo Grove, IL, it’s never too early to think about preparing for the harsh Chicagoland winter. In fact, getting an… Continue Reading Schedule Furnace Maintenance Now to Beat the Crowds…
Your home’s AC system has a condenser coil responsible for moving cool air through your Morton Grove, IL, home. A malfunctioning condensing… Continue Reading Signs of a Malfunctioning AC Condensing Coil…