Whether it’s a brand new automobile, an aging water heater or a high-end espresso machine, every machine performs better when it’s properly maintained. When it comes to your home’s air conditioner, regular tune-ups offer other advantages, too, including a longer service life, fewer repairs and improved indoor air quality. Lower monthly energy bills, however, is the benefit of AC maintenance that homeowners seem to appreciate the most. Learn how regularly scheduled air conditioning maintenance helps keep your cooling costs manageable when summer temperatures sizzle.
The Science of AC Energy Efficiency
Air conditioners work by using refrigerant to extract heat from the air, leaving the surrounding environment feeling cool and comfortable. This remarkable feat of engineering is accomplished by changing the temperature and pressure of the refrigerant as it cycles through the system. It takes energy to get the job done, but when each system component is properly cleaned and calibrated, energy expenditure is kept to a minimum.
Any dirty or malfunctioning part in your air conditioner can impact the energy efficiency and performance of the entire system. Your air conditioner’s compressor motor, for example, relies on the cooling properties of incoming refrigerant to help keep it from overheating. If a refrigerant leak develops, the air conditioner may stop and start more often, driving up your energy bills while causing undue wear and tear on the motor. Professional tune-ups help ensure that each system part operates at the highest level of efficiency, which is the key to monthly savings.
HVAC Maintenance Programs
Enrolling in a HVAC maintenance program provides you with a convenient and affordable way to make sure your system gets the care it needs. Each task performed during a seasonal maintenance service call is designed to enhance the system’s energy efficiency and extend its longevity:
- Thermostat and control settings are checked to ensure accurate operation.
- Electrical connections are tightened to ensure safety and efficiency.
- Moving parts are lubricated to eliminate energy-wasting friction.
- The condensate pan, pipe and drain are inspected to protect against water damage.
- Evaporator and condenser coils are cleaned to make sure that your AC isn’t forced to run longer than necessary to keep you cool.
- The refrigerant charge is analyzed and corrected as needed to maintain proper pressure levels and ensure optimal efficiency.
- Blower components are cleaned and adjusted to eliminate problems with air flow that can reduce system efficiency by up to 15 percent.
Assurance Heating & Air Conditioning offers a full array of products and services that can improve your comfort at home while simultaneously lowering your energy bills. With more than 30 years of experience, you can trust our HVAC experts to provide energy-saving solutions. To schedule maintenance for your air conditioner before the summer season sends your cooling costs sky high, contact us today for fast and efficient service.