How to Save on Your Heating Bill Without Sacrificing Comfort
If you’re like most people in the Glenview, Illinois, area, home heating costs make up nearly 50 percent of your utility bills. This amount of money is extraordinary because it adds up to a small fortune at the end of the year. However, you can take consolation in the fact that several methods are available that’ll allow you to reduce your heating bills in the winter without sacrificing comfort.
Save Energy With These Tips
The most effective way to keep those dollars from flying out of your pocket this winter is to schedule heating system maintenance. When you tune-up your furnace, it works more efficiently and wastes less energy. You can also follow several other tips to ensure your HVAC system is as energy efficient as possible.
- Inspect your vents and ducts. Your ducts are responsible for leading heated air into the rooms occupied by you and your family, but when they leak or have split seams, they can decrease the efficiency of your heating system by as much as 20 percent. In addition, blocked vents cause your furnace to work harder, reducing its overall lifespan.
- Clean or replace the filters. Most types of air filters need to be replaced every one to three months. When they are clogged with dirt, dust and debris, the filters block heat and lower the quality of your indoor air.
- Consider installing a programmable thermostat. A programmable thermostat allows you to set your heating system to the most efficient temperature for certain times of the day. When you are asleep or away from home, the temperature can be lowered by 7° F to 10° F, which can save you up to 10 percent on heating costs each year.
- Upgrade your furnace. Replacing your heating system with a high-efficiency unit is recommended by Energy Star if it has been in use for 10 years or longer. When the system is professionally installed, you can increase efficiency by as much as 10 percent.
Reduce Heating Costs
Reducing heating expenses is not all about your furnace or HVAC system. The following heating tips can also help you cut costs:
- Hang thick drapes from your windows.
- Check your insulation.
- Add weather stripping around doors and windows.
- Install ceiling fans, and set them to spin counterclockwise.
Consider Home Heating Services in Glenview, IL
Staying warm and toasty during the freezing cold winters of Illinois does not have to cost a bundle. By following the above tips, you can enjoy comfortable and relaxing evenings without putting a dent in your wallet. However, it helps to have a trusted and experienced HVAC contractor on your side, such as Assurance Heating & Air Conditioning, Inc. For more information about how the technicians at Assurance can help you, call today or fill out the online form to schedule an appointment.
You May Also Like
In a central air conditioning system, the cold chemical refrigerant flows through the evaporator coil. The refrigerant absorbs heat from your home’s… Continue Reading Looking to Replace Your Air Conditioner’s Evaporator Coil?…
Proper ventilation is essential to maintain good indoor air quality for you and your family in Buffalo Grove, Illinois, and the surrounding… Continue Reading Ventilation is a Key Component for Healthy Indoor Air…
You’re busy and keeping track of the temperature settings on your Buffalo Grove, IL home’s thermostat isn’t at the top of your… Continue Reading Experience the Convenience of Using a Wi-Fi Thermostat…