Heat pumps are the most efficient method for heating and cooling modern homes in Glenview, IL. Older systems can emit unusual sounds, though, even when operating normally. New noises could indicate a need for heat pump repair. Discover common reasons your heat pump is making loud noises.
Outdoor Unit Needs Attention
If you hear sounds coming from your outdoor unit, or, compressor, heat pump repair is almost always necessary. Common issues with compressors and associated sounds include:
- Loose parts: vibrating, buzzing, and rattling
- Unbalanced fans or fans hitting ice, debris, or tubing: vibrating popping, rattling, metallic sounds
- Refrigerant issue: rattling, popping, gurgling, or vibrating
- Electrical problems: popping and buzzing
- Failing motors: vibrating, buzzing
- Failing valves, contactors, or solenoids: vibrating, whooshing, or hissing
Problems in Ducts
Other parts of your system may produce sounds heard through ductwork, so confirm that noise origins are really in the ducts. Loud noises indicating an issue with ducts could be:
- Lack of vibration dampening: popping, creaking
- Animals or insects: scratching, gnawing, buzzing, humming
- Duct damage (low return airflow): whistling
Indoor Air Handler Trouble
Aging or improperly installed systems are normally behind loud noises coming from an indoor air handler. Loud noises from this part of your system may indicate:
- Damaged belts, fans, pistons, valves, crankshafts, rods, or thermostat: clicking
- Refrigerant leak: buzzing, rattling
- Loose parts: buzzing, rattling
- Filter out of place: whistling
- Unit mismatch for area: humming
- Electrical issues: buzzing, humming
Possible reasons your heat pump is making loud noises include many other issues only a heat pump repair technician can fix. Depending on the noise, other service technicians may need to be called in, such as electricians or animal control specialists. Your HVAC professional will inform you if this is the case and make referrals.
Learn more about the most energy-efficient way to heat and cool your home and why these systems are becoming increasingly popular. View Assurance Heating & Air Conditioning, Inc. solutions online, or view our answers to frequently asked questions. If you’d like to speak with someone in person, give us a call at 847-388-0316 for advice or to schedule an appointment.